In ARHU we inspire and challenge you to BE WORLDWISE in every sense of the word. Open yourself to stimulating courses and many other opportunities that help you appreciate human experience, thought, expression and creativity.
ARHU advisors will help you navigate your college journey so you can discover your passion, develop your academic plan and infuse your UMD experience with study abroad, internships, engaged research with faculty and career explorations.
Every ARHU student is required to participate in college and departmental advising.
For information on advising, please visit:
Please note that currently all advising is taking place remotely.
Meet With an Advisor to:
- Contact and meet with the departmental/major advisor to discuss major and begin academic plan.
- Complete the Foreign Language Placement Assessment (FLPA)
- Schedule an appointment with an ARHU advisor (click here) or by calling 301-405-2108 to complete your change of major. Bring your signed Academic Plan Checklist to your appointment .
Mandatory First Semester Advising
To prepare to register for your second semester at UMD, you will need to meet with your department, complete language placement and meet with an ARHU advisor in order to complete your academic plan.
Contact and meet with the departmental/major advisor to discuss major and begin academic plan. Your major advisor will upload your approved Academic Plan Checklist
Complete the Foreign Language Placement Assessment (FLPA)
Schedule an appointment with an ARHU advisor (click here) or by calling 301-405-2108 to complete your change of major. Appointment must be scheduled to take place at least one day after you complete Steps 1 and 2.
Mandatory Sophomore and Senior Advising
For ARHU Mandatory Advising blocks when you are in the 45-55 or 86-100 credit range, an ARHU advisor sent an email outlining your remaining requirements and steps to lift your ARHU advising block. Please check your email and respond to that advisor to lift your block. If you have a department block, you will need to follow-up with your department advisor.
You may also schedule an appointment with an ARHU advisor if you have general questions.
Study Abroad Advising
Schedule a remote appointment with Conrad Zeutenhorst to talk about study abroad and other global learning opportunities for ARHU students.
Study Abroad Course approval
If you are completing a SACA (Study Abroad Course Approval) Form, schedule an appointment for final approval. Please note that your form may require further review after your appointment; you will be emailed your form when it is ready (usually within 48 hours).
- The SACA form must be obtained from Education Abroad and signed by your major advisor prior to your appointment with an ARHU college advisor.
- Students seeking approval to complete the Global Engagement Requirement abroad should schedule to meet with Paula Nadler specifically.
- GenEd course evaluations must be requested through the corresponding UMD department(s) for the course(s). Requests can be submitted through the EA Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form.
Per University of Maryland policy, students can register for a maximum of 16 credits prior to the first day of classes. On the first day of classes, students may register for up to 20 credits.
ARHU considers exceptions to this policy under the following circumstances (ARHU must be your primary college):
- you are a Music, Theatre or Dance major
- you are graduating in the upcoming semester
- you are registering for your fifth course, which exceeds 16 credits
Schedule an appointment if you fall into any of these categories to request permission to register for up to 20 credits before the first day of classes.
Please note that on the first day of classes the credit limit is automatically increased from 16 to 20 credits.
Students seeking permission to register for more than 20 credits must file an exception. To do so click here.