You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Arts & Humanities Advising

Departmental Advising

Registration Information

University Policies

Arts & Humanities Advising

What is the difference between college and departmental advising?

  • Arts and Humanities has a dual track advising system in which students have both college and department advisors. Students may need to meet with the advisor in the college, department, or sometimes both. The lists below will help you determine whom you may need to see:

ARHU advising Departmental Advising
  • CORE requirements
  • ARHU requirements: Global Engagement*, Upper level credits*, and ARHU158 (Freshmen only)
  • General Questions
  • Exceptions to University policy
  • General academic advising
  • Registration for College (ARHU) blocks
  • ARHU internship credit questions
  • Career questions
  • Assessment of Study Abroad courses (after meeting with major advisor)
  • Major and supporting course selection and requirments
  • Transfer course applicability to major
  • Permission for department courses specified as PermReq
  • Registration for Department blocks
  • Career question
  • Internships and research opportunities
  • Assessment of Study Abroad courses used for the major

*Bachelor of Music students are exempted from these requirements.

Where do I go for advising?

  • College of Arts and Humanities Student Affairs is located in 1120 F. Scott Key Hall. - If you have departmental advising, please refer to your department’s website for the advising location.

How do I make an appointment with an ARHU advisor?

  • Call 301-405-2108 for an appointment.
  • If you are already an ARHU major, you may also meet with an ARHU advisor during walk in hours.
  • Make sure you indicate why you are meeting with an advisor as there are certain situations in which you would need to meet with a particular advisor: academic probation students, ARHU student athletes, students who wish to study abroad, etc.

How do I declare/add an ARHU major?

How many upper level credits do I need to take for graduation?

  • All ARHU majors pursuing a B.A. must complete at least 45 credits at the upper level (3xx-4xx).

What is required to satisfy the Global Engagement requirement?

  • Please click here.

What are Advanced Studies courses, and how do I find them?

  • Advanced Studies courses are any 3-credit, 3xx-4xx level courses OUTSIDE of your major department (Capstone courses MAY be counted for Advanced Studies even though they are in your major department).
  • If you have a double major, your Advanced Studies requirement is automatically satisfied. You do not need to take additional Advanced Studies courses. Minor/Certificate courses, supporting area courses and cognate courses may count for Advanced Studies as well IF the courses are 3xx-4xx level and outside the major department.
  • Although there is no specific list for Advanced Studies, each semester, one of our advisors creates a list our students may use as a starting point to explore course offerings that may be used for Advanced Studies (this is not a comprehensive list). Feel free to stop by ARHU for this list during the semester in which you wish to register for Advanced Studies courses.

How do I know what I need to graduate?

  • For major requirements, meet with your major advisor.
  • For university, CORE and ARHU requirements, meet with an ARHU advisor. u.achieve is an unofficial audit tool that you may access through Testudo to view requirements. Please note: this is unofficial and may not completely reflect your degree progress.

When do I apply for graduation?

  • You must apply for graduation by the end of the schedule adjustment (drop/add) period for the semester in which you wish to graduate. You may apply for graduation through Testudo or in person at the Mitchell Building.

What happens if I missed the deadline to apply for graduation?

Can I still walk in graduation if my requirements aren’t completed?

  • If you will not have all degree requirements (ARHU, GenEd, major and university requirements) completed at the end of your graduating semester, you may not participate in the large University Commencement Ceremony.
  • You may contact your major advisor to petition to participate in your departmental ceremony. It is at the discretion of your major advisor to determine eligibility to participate in the departmental commencement ceremony according to departmental policies.
  • You will not officially graduate (i.e. be awarded your diploma) until all of your requirements are completed and all outstanding obligations to the university have been met. Please note that there are only two commencement ceremonies, held in May and December, and degrees are issued in May, August and December. Students earning August degrees are automatically eligible to walk in the December ceremony. Students completing requirements during a winter term will earn their degrees the following May.

How do I get permission to enroll at another institution?

  • Contact the institution you wish to attend regarding visiting student admissions requirements.
  • Research the available courses at the visiting institution.
  • Visit the Transfer Credit Services website to see if the course will transfer to UMD.
  • If you are in your last 30 credits on campus, you must meet with an ARHU advisor to discuss your eligibility to take a course at another institution.
  • Obtain a Permission to Enroll in Another Institution(PTE) form. You may obtain a PTE form from the ARHU Student Affairs office or by clicking the links below:
  1. For GenEd/Electives/Language you may use the Online PTE form.  Once submitted, ARHU will review your request and contact you with a decision.
  2. For Major requirements you must use the pdf PTE form.  If you are seeking to take a course to satisfy a major requirement, you must first meet with your departmental advisor for permission. If he/she approves the course, he/she will sign the departmental portion of the PTE form. You will then need to meet with ARHU for final approval.

How do I get Study Abroad courses approved?

  • Meet with an advisor in the Education Abroad office to obtain a Permission to Study Abroad form and identify classes you wish to take abroad.
  • Meet with your major advisor(s) for course approval. You must have approval from your major(s) (each of your majors if you are pursuing a double major) even if you do not plan to take major courses while abroad. The major advisor(s) will approve courses you plan to take in your major(s).
  • If you plan to take courses to fulfill GenEd/CORE requirements, you will need to visit those individual departments for approval prior to meeting with an ARHU Study Abroad advisor.
  • Meet with an ARHU Study Abroad advisor for college approval (please specify that you need to meet with an ARHU Study Abroad advisor when you make your appointment). If you have another major outside of ARHU, you will also need approval from that college. All elective courses can be approved by your ARHU Study Abroad advisor.
  • Once your major advisor(s) and college advisor(s) approve your paperwork, you must submit the Permission to Study Abroad form to the Education Abroad office.
  • Upon completion of your courses abroad, you will need to request a transcript from the host institution be sent to UMD to post (unless you are enrolled in a UMD resident program).

How do I enroll in an Internship?

  • ARHU students can earn up to 12 internship credits total with a combination of internship credits through the major and through ARHU internship courses (ARHU286/386/486).
  • First, speak with a major advisor about possibly earning credits for your internship. - If you have already earned credits through your major or your major does not approve the internship for major credit, you may apply to earn credits through ARHU.
  • For more information about internship opportunities, please contact your major advisor, the internship coordinator in ARHU, and/or the ARHU liaison at the University Career Center.

Who do I contact for International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) forms?

  • For all the i-Terp ISSS forms, use Amanda Bachert ( as the advisor contact.
  • To complete all ISSS forms, your remaining requirements for your major must be verified. This may be through U.Achieve (with verification from your major advisor that the audit is updated), an email from your major advisor to Amanda Bachert outlining all your remaining requirements, or an updated/signed audit or academic plan from your major advisor submitted to the front counter at ARHU.


Departmental Advising

Am I required to meet with a departmental/major advisor prior to registration?

  • Some ARHU majors have registration blocks for advising every semester. It is your responsibility to know if your major requires advising every semester.
  • Log on to and check to see if you have a DEPT registration block for mandatory advising.

How do I meet with a departmental advisor?

  • Please click here for departmental contacts.

How do I add certificates/minors?

  • Certificates and minors offer students a great way to organize their elective credits into a specified area of concentration with approximately 21 credits for certificates and 15-18 credits for minors.
  • If you wish to add an ARHU minor you will need permission from the department. Visit the minor’s link on the ARHU website to determine if the minor you seek is still accepting students.
  • If you are interested in a minor housed outside of ARHU, click here for a complete list of minors and certificates, and the contact information for each program.

Registration Information

What is a registration block?

  • A block is a hold placed on student records to prevent registration. Each semester, students are expected to log on to and check their registration time and blocks. It is the student’s responsibility to take appropriate actions to remove those blocks in order to register on time. To ensure that you will be able to graduate in a timely fashion, you MUST register on time. Delaying your registration may hinder your ability to take courses as outlined in your Academic Plan.
  • Students are encouraged to meet with both their major and ARHU advisors on a regular basis outside of their mandatory advising.
  • ARHU students have mandatory advising with the college three times during their matriculation:
  1. First semester on campus to submit your Academic Plan
  2. Between 45-55 credits
  3. Between 86-100 credits

These mandatory advising blocks will appear as ARHU and DEPT (for your major). First semester students (both freshmen and transfers) MUST first meet with their departmental/major advisor to obtain an Academic Plan, and then bring their signed Academic Plan to meet with an ARHU advisor.

  • Other blocks that may appear include:
  1. Financial blocks—Contact The Office of Student Financial Services and Cashiering.
  2. Athlete blocks—You must meet with your major advisor for course selection, and your ARHU athlete advisor for stamps.
  3. Academic probation blocks— ARHU majors on academic probation work directly with Ms. Tanesha Leathers for blocks/advising. See more information about academic probation here.
  4. Fundamental studies blocks—You must register in person at the Registrar’s office in the Mitchell building. You may also meet with an ARHU advisor to further explain this block.
  5. Vaccination blocks—Contact the Health Center.

Please see an ARHU advisor for questions concerning other blocks you may encounter.

  • Some ARHU majors have departmental registration blocks for advising every semester. It is your responsibility to know if your major requires advising every semester.

What should I do if I have a CORE/Credit or Gen Ed/Credit block on Testudo?

  • ARHU must be your primary college to have this considered through ARHU.
  • After the completion of 60 credits, students are only able to register for one Gen Ed or CORE course per semester prior to the first day of classes.
  • ARHU considers exceptions to this policy if:
  1. The student is graduating in the semester he/she wants to take more than one Gen Ed or CORE class and needs to take the courses to graduate.
  2. The student is attempting to register for a required major course.
  3. The student is attempting to register for a 1-credit lab Gen Ed or CORE course to accompany the corresponding 3-credit lecture portion of the course.
  4. Student is pursuing a pre-med focus and needs more than one lab course.
  • If you fall into any of these categories, please meet with an ARHU advisor to register for the additional credits.
  • If your circumstance differs from those listed above, you will need to wait until the first day of classes to add the additional Gen Ed or CORE course. You may also meet with an advisor to discuss an exception. Filing an exception does not guarantee that your request will be approved.

How many credits can I register for each semester?

  • Per University of Maryland policy, students can register for a maximum of 16 credits prior to the first day of classes. On the first day of classes, students may register for up to 20 credits without permission.
  • ARHU considers exceptions to this policy under the following circumstances (ARHU must be your primary college):
  1. If the student is expected to graduate in the upcoming semester and needs to take more than 16 credits to complete graduation requirements.
  2. If the student is attempting to register for a fifth course, thus exceeding the 16 credits maximum.
  3. If the student is enrolled in a performance major (DANC/MUSC/MUED/THET) and needs to register for lessons or performance credits.


  • If you fall into any of these categories, please meet with an ARHU advisor to register for the additional credits.
  • If your circumstance differs from those listed above, you will need to wait until the first day of classes to add more than 16 credits. If you wish to file an exception to this policy, you must meet with the advisor who reviews these types of exceptions to policy in 1120 Francis Scott Key Hall.  Filing an exception does not guarantee that your request will be approved.


  • If you wish to enroll for more than 20 credits during the fall/spring semester, more than 8 credits per summer session or more than 4 credits for winter session, you will need to meet with an ARHU advisor to discuss if your circumstances warrant a waiver.

Can I take a course Pass/Fail?

  • Courses used towards your major, minor, or CORE requirements may not be taken Pass/Fail.
  • The intermediate level of the foreign language sequence that fulfills Option 1 of the Global Engagement Requirement may not be taken Pass/Fail.
  • The course needs to be offered as Pass/Fail (not all courses are offered as such).
  • You must select the Pass/Fail grading option prior to the end of the schedule adjustment period.
  • You may only take up to one Pass/Fail course at a time, for up to 12 credits total.  Refer to the Pass/Fail policy in the catalog for further information.

What is PermReq on Testudo?

  • Even though PermReq (Permission Required) is not a block, it will prevent you from registering for a particular course unless you have permission from the department to add the course. You must contact the department offering the course for permission to enroll in the course.

How do I get permission for a time conflict?

  • ARHU must be your primary college to have this approved through ARHU.
  • You can request permission to take courses that have a time conflict through the Dean's Exception to Academic Policy page. If you will only miss a portion of ONE class and arrive/leave the other class on time, you will only need permission from the course for which you are leaving early/arriving late. If only one course will be affected, only that professor needs to submit permission.
  • Once you have filed the request, please have the instructor(s) send an email indicating approval directly to from a University of Maryland email account.
  • If you are leaving one class early and/or arriving to the other class late, the professor must indicate whether you are leaving early or arriving late on his/her approval letter/email.

How many times can I repeat a course?

  • You are able to repeat a course once without special permission (‘W’s count as one attempt).
  • If you need to repeat a required course for the third time and the course has no alternative options, you will need to obtain a repeat policy credit waiver form from ARHU. To obtain this request form you will need to meet with an ARHU advisor either by appointment or during walk-in hours.  
  • This form requires approval from the department offering the course, your major department (if the course is used for the major), and ARHU. Once you have the necessary department approvals, you will need to meet with an ARHU advisor for final approval. 
  • Make sure you are within the 18 credit repeat credit limit.

How do I get permission to exceed the repeat credit limit?

  • ARHU must be your primary college to have this considered through ARHU.
  • Students are permitted to repeat up to 18 credits total. If you are seeking to repeat more than 18 credits, you will need to meet with an ARHU advisor to discuss the circumstances surrounding your desire to repeat more classes. Permission to repeat more than 18 credits is not automatically given and usually requires demonstration of extraordinary circumstances.

Can I add a class after the schedule adjustment period?

  • In order to add a course after the schedule adjustment period, you must request to do so through the Dean's Exception to Academic Policy page.
  • Once you have filed the request, please have the professor send an email directly to from a University of Maryland email account indicating his/her approval (including the course number and section).

How do I add/drop a class if I’m on Academic probation?

  • All students who are on academic probation need permission to add/drop any classes through electronic stamps.
  • ARHU majors on academic probation work directly with Ms. Tanesha Leathers for stamps/academic advising.

How do I take consortium course(s)?

  • Consortium courses need to be courses used for your major that are not offered at UMD.
  • See an ARHU advisor for additional questions and information.

University Policies

How do I get transfer credits approved and/or posted?

  • Make sure that your previous institution has sent your transcript to the Registrar’s office for posting.
  • If the course is not already in our database, and you wish to have a course evaluated for a major/minor requirement or CORE requirement, you must present a syllabus/supporting documentation describing the course content to the related department for the course for evaluation.
  • You may contact the transfer credit center for additional inquiries.

Can an undergraduate student take a graduate level class?

  • Students, usually junior or senior standing, who meet certain criteria are eligible to take graduate level course(s).
  1. If you are taking a graduate course for undergraduate credit, bring signed permission from the instructor on letterhead to ARHU.
  2. If you want to earn graduate credit for the course, you must obtain a Permission to Take a Graduate Level Course as an Undergraduate student form from the graduate school. You first need to obtain the permission from the instructor offering the graduate level class. Then, you must obtain an approval from the Undergraduate Studies Director for your major. Once all of the approvals are obtained, bring the completed form to ARHU. You will then submit this form to the graduate school for review.

Do I have to take my final 30 credits here at University of Maryland-College Park?

  • Students at UMCP must complete their final 30 credit hours at UMCP.
  • Certain study abroad opportunities allow students to earn residential credits while abroad. For more information, click here or meet with an Education Abroad advisor.
  • Students are allowed to take and transfer up to 2 courses in their last 30 from institutions outside of UMCP with permission from an ARHU advisor.
  • Other circumstances, requests and exceptions can be discussed with an ARHU advisor. Filing an exception does not guarantee that your request will be approved.

How does the Repeat Policy (including “Freshman Forgiveness”) work?

  • For information about the Repeat Policy, click here.
  • If you have additional questions, meet with an ARHU advisor.


What is the Withdrawal and Drop Policy?

  • During the schedule adjustment period (first 10 days of the semester) you may drop courses with no permanent notation on your transcripts.
  • After the schedule adjustment period, you may not drop more than 4 credits. If you wish to drop more than 4 credits, you must meet with an ARHU advisor. Please be aware of the consequences from dropping below full-time status (12 credits).
  • If you drop a course after the schedule adjustment period, a “W” will appear on your transcript. Dropping a course with a "W" simply means that you attended the course at some point in the semester and dropped it within the withdrawal deadline but not during the schedule adjustment period. It is not a punitive mark and it will have no impact on your GPA.
  • If you wish to drop a course after the withdrawal deadline (not the schedule adjustment period), you will need to file an exception and provide documentation to support your circumstances for dropping the course after the deadline. Filing an exception does not guarantee that you will be approved to drop the course after the withdrawal deadline.

How do I withdraw from the entire semester?

  • In order to withdraw from the University for the semester, you will need to contact the Registrar’s office. You are encouraged to discuss your circumstances with an ARHU advisor so that you are aware of all of your options prior to withdrawing.

What is academic probation?

  • Students are placed on academic probation if their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 in any given semester. Please click here for the complete policy.
  • ARHU students on academic probation meet with Ms. Tanesha Leathers to discuss steps to address their probationary status, future success, and registration for upcoming semesters.

What is academic dismissal?

  • Students are dismissed from UMD if their academic performance does not meet the minimum university standards.
  • If you find yourself in the following categories, you may be at risk for dismissal:
  1. If you have earned 60 or more credits, and remain below a cumulative 2.0 GPA for two consecutive semesters (not including summer/winter terms).
  2. If you have earned fewer than 60 credits, and do not raise your semester GPA above a 2.0 after a probationary semester. For more information about academic dismissal, click here or meet with Ms. Tanesha Leathers.

What do I do if I’m dismissed?

  • If you are dismissed based on failure to attain at least a 2.0 GPA, you may apply for reinstatement.
  • You are encouraged to meet with Ms. Tanesha Leathers to discuss all of your options.
  • If you are reinstated after academic dismissal, you must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 by the end of your first semester to avoid dismissal.
  • Please click here for more information about academic dismissal and the reinstatement process.